Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Dodecolicious

For those of you who are unschooled in the ways of polyhedron dice - or those poor souls who have never even heard of Dungeons and Dragons - Dodecolicious is a term that, so far as I know, was made famous by "Futurama" in the movie "Bender's Game." I begin my entry with this lovely word for one reason only - I'm about to start writing a new Dungeons and Dragons Campaign. This will be my fourth...fifth? I figure that with my fiance going home for the Christmas break, I'll have a lot of time on my hands. For those who are actually follow this blog, all one of you, you're about to be tortured by a detailed explanation of just what this game is all about. Turn away if you don't wish your ears violated.

Dungeons and Dragons was created by a man, gods rest his soul, named Gary Gygax who died just recently. It began as a miniature war game similar to that of Warhammer or many others and slowly, over several decades, transformed into a role-playing game where players take on the mantle of made-up characters and decide the actions and career paths of said characters. All of this is done on a fictional backdrop of a fictional world wherein one person (usually) makes it all up. This person is known as the Dungeon Master. Now, I know what you're thinking...what the hell is with that name? It sounds something like a title for a bad bondage porn flick, I know. I wasn't even born when the term was made up so who am I to judge?

Now...all of my D&D games are based off of my writings. This can get kinda hairy when someone says: "Hey, can I use one of your campaigns for my own players." While I'd love to give them the campaign for their use, I have no idea what will eventually happen to it. It could end up on the internet and thus, entirely out of my hands. I'm still worried about the incident that happened last month, after all. Suffice it to say, I take the writing of these campaigns, as they are known, quite seriously as they reflect on my novels. Anyone looking for more information on Dungeons and Dragons, although if you know me you probably know all about it, you would do well to go to www.wizards.com. For those paying attention, Wizards also manufactures the Magic the Gathering collectible card game.

Now that finals are over, I'll be able to get to some serious stuff and start telling you about my novels. I'm sure you can't wait. Over the next few posts, I'll go into the history of my world, what led my to write and profiles on just a few of my main protagonists and antagonists. The best of the best, the worst of the worst and all those gray-shrouded bastards in between. Stay tuned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment